we were moving our tv and couches to the playroom and moving all of our toys into the tv room.
our mini air hockey table was in the middle of the room and the tv was on the ground next to it.
i was off track and had just woken up.
it was about 8:00 am.
i was laying on my stomach with my face in my hands watching the news.
it was september 11, 2001.
i saw the buildings going up in smoke.
the planes flew straight into the buildings.
i saw all of the people running down the streets trying to get away.
it was horrible.
i had no idea what was going on.
and i thought i was the only one in my second grade class that would know about it.
ten years later and i still don't exactly know what went on.
two planes crashed into the world trade centers.
there was a threat against the pentagon i think.
way too many people died.
we're fighting a war in iraq.
but that's the extent of my knowledge.
in honor of september 11, i am going to make a resolution.
by this time next year, i will know what happened.
i will know why we are fighting in iraq.
i will know more about my government and what is going on.
even though i hate politics.
so why am i doing it?
to honor those that died.
that didn't want to die but did.
that signed up to help knowing they might die and did.
and the loved ones that were so affected by their death.
i want to be affected by their death.
to do better and be better.
i will use the rights that i was given and vote.
from this day forward, i'm not going to take advantage of my freedom.
i will remember those that spared their lives for our country.
i love America.

where were YOU when the world stopped turning on that september day?
LOVE this Kaitlyn! I remember - my Dad was on a business trip in Texas and he called right as we had finished breakfast and told us to turn on the news. I was still in my PJs. And I remember seeing that first tower collapse. I don't fully understand what went on that day, but I will learn more about the repercussions of those events on September 11th. This was beautifully written. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWatch this video of that day - I didn't really realize how fully ignorant I was until I watched it this morning and was practically bawling the whole way through.
http://news.yahoo.com/9-11-video-timeline-how-the-day-unfolded.html